Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My dog is nearly 6 years old. Female, neutered, no health conditions.

Customer Question

My dog is nearly 6 years old. Female, neutered, no health conditions. She has suddenly started panting this evening, all evening. She seems restless, and is pacing, like she can't seem to know where to sit or what to do. It has been hot the last week and has panted normally when it's been hot. But now it is not hot, and it has been continuous and it is now accompanied by the restlessness. She is eating and drinking.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! I'm Dr. Gene, thanks for your question!I have a few questions for you first:1. What breed is Coco?2. Is she spayed?3. Has she vomited or had diarrhea in the last several days?4. What is her mobility like? Still active, jumping, stairs, etc? Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help.

1. She is a mixed breed of a toy poodle & bichon fries, she weighs about 14 pounds.

2. She is sprayed

3. She has not vomited, and has had no diarrhea that I am aware of.
4. She seems ok, in the evening she usually sits on the sofa with us though. She did follow me up and down the stairs, and just went to the kitchen to drink some water.
She has been restless all evening though, like she can't decide where she wants to sit and keeps getting up and moving around the room.

I think something is bothering her, because sometimes (not all) of the time when she walked around the house this evening, she walked fast and with her head down.. and usually she does that if she feels uncomfortable.. like usually after I cut her hair.
She is currently sitting next to me, but still panting.

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the info.I agree with you, something is bothering her. Excessive panting can be a sign of many things, including high body or ambient temperature, lung problems, muscle weakness, acidosis (decreased blood pH), pain and fear/stress/anxiety. I think that the most likely is pain/discomfort (unless there is something else more obvious, like stormy weather, which she may be afraid of). It's a fairly non-specific symptom so it's difficult to say what it is exactly that's making her feel uncomfortable... However, in her breed and age, the most common conditions that can cause the sort of acute non-specific discomfort are: pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas resulting in abdominal pain), gastrointestinal disease (various types but also resulting in abdominal pain), disc herniation (muscle spasms / back pain) and fluid build up in the lungs or in the abdominal cavity (also lots of different causes).While allowing another 24 hour period to go by and monitoring is not unreasonable, I am in usually in favor of being proactive in the face of the unknown. I would rather evaluate a pet with troubling symptoms and find nothing significant than "wait and see" to find something more concerning that could have been prevented or treated earlier. As such, I'd recommend you take a trip to either the nearest vet ER tonight, or see your vet first thing tomorrow morning. For now, there is not much to do, unfortunately. I would probably not give any food, just leave water out and monitor her closely to make sure you detect signs of worsening (difficulty breathing or moving around, etc).I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have additional questions!