Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Peggy, my border collie, has couple of months been increasingly

Customer Question

Peggy, my border collie, has for a couple of months been increasingly stiff on rising from a rest. Our Vet has thought it was her joints. So at first she was on metacam, which didn't make any difference, then Yumove was suggested and she has been taking a heavy dose (4 a day) and these don't appear to have made a difference.
Once Peggy gets on the move she is much more herself. Going for her walk she sits in the well of the car near my feet, on returning she jumps into the back.
Any suggestions please
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It would be prudent to confirm that Swami's joints are indeed the problem. This is done by palpating (feeling) her joints while flexing and extending the limbs and by X-raying the joints thought be problematic - hips, elbows, and shoulders, usually. Osteoarthritis is most commonly found but immune-mediated polyarthritis and infectious (tick-borne infectious agents, usually) arthritis also occur in dogs. For the purpose of this conversation, I'm going to post my synopsis of how osteoarthritic dogs are addressed. Please peruse it and then return to our conversation with additional information and further questions and concerns if you wish.
We use a multimodal approach to osteoarthritis in our dogs - dietary management, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory pain relief, neutraceuticals, life-style changes and stem cell therapy. When used concomitantly these approaches should synergize and provide the best control of symptoms. For example, Swami might show considerable improvement if you add fish oil to her diet. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are anti-inflammatory. I use the cost-effective generic human fish oils and dose them at 20 mg/lb daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You'll find the amount of EPA on the label of the fish oil product.
Avoid flax oil because it is poorly bioavailable to dogs. They can't metabolize it properly.
If you prefer, there are diets that are extremely high in omega-3 fatty acids. Hill's Prescription Diet j/d is one such diet.
Many vets feel that injections of Adequan (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) work better than oral neutraceuticals such as glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate, and over the counter Cosequin or Dasequin. Adequan is injected into Swami weekly for a number of weeks at her vet's discretion. You can read more about Adequan here: http://www.adequancanine.us/
Regenerative stem cell therapy has come into its own and is now available for addressing osteoarthritis in dogs. Please see Vet-Stem's website here for more information:***@******.*** The regenerative stem cells are created from her fat cells and are capable of differentiating into a variety of tissue types including tendon, ligament, bone, cartilage, and muscle and have been proven to reduce pain and inflammation.
We have to suspect that just as in people, osteoarthritis in dogs is painful. If a prescription nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam (Metacam) isn't sufficient for controlling pain, please consider adding a well-tolerated narcotic such as tramadol to these therapies mentioned above. All of these drugs are available from Swami's vet. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food every 12 hours can be helpful in a pinch.
Weight reduction is essential. The less weight her joints need to carry, the better.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.