Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My borders collie has lumps of dry skin on his back what can

Customer Question

My borders collie has lumps of dry skin on his back what can I do to help this?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of George's back to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. For now, you can shampoo George in an antiseborrheic shampoo containing some combination of tar, sulfur, salicylic acid, urea, or phytosphingosine. This type of shampoo is ideal for cleaning away unhealthy skin that has accumulated. You can find these shampoos over the counter in pet/feed stores or at George's vet hospital.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't seem to upload a photo can you help
Please contact***@******.*** who will help you do this.
I received the photo, thank you. That "lump of dry skin" needs to have all of the hair clipped away from it and the dry debris scrubbed away to get a better look at the skin. I expect there to be an epidermal collarette - a somewhat circular skin lesion - under that debris which usually indicates a bacterial skin infection often due to Staph. I can't tell at this time, however, if there's a neoplasm (growth, tumor), instead, under there. If you're willing to do this, please let me know what you find. If you're more comfortable having George's vet do this, I understand.