Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Could you please tell me how much dog food in weight I should

Could you please tell me how much dog food in weight I should put out for a wild adult fox please? I want to help but not make it dependent. So far we've been giving one of those small 150g square tubs. However, the vixen has now turned into a full family of 4! The dog fox takes it all if he can but I don't think there's much I can do about that! Should I put more out? Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I have to note that the grams volume of food you need to offer to meet a wild fox's (average 6kg) will depend on what food you are using. This is because all dog foods (just like our food) have differing calorie contents. Still, we can work our a daily allowance for each in calories and you can then divide that by the calories per gram of the food you are feeding to know how much to offer.

As well, if you didn't want them to be 100% dependant on you, you could just offer their baseline resting energy requirement. This is the total calories they need to just keep their body going but doesn't include what is needed to exercise/activity/etc. In regards ***** ***** for the 6kg fox, they would need 250 calories each per day. So, have a look at the brand of food you are feeding and divide that into our calorie allowance. This will give you the grams per day. Double it, of course, if there are 2 of them (or x4 if you are helping the cubs too). Otherwise, just to note, if you wanted to give a full daily allowance, then you would just need to increased that to 400-450 calories daily per fox.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )