Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I am studying a course on veterinary assisting and am having

Customer Question

I am studying a course on veterinary assisting and am having trouble locating what preventive medicine procedure can be carried out for skin cancer in dogs.
Can you advise?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are looking at ways to help prevent skin cancer in dogs. There are different types of skin cancer. Some are secondary to genetics and are closely tied to coat and skin color and increased melanocyte (skin pigment producing cells) numbers and activity such as melanomas and other are stimulated by increased UV ray exposure or irritation such as squamous cell carcinomas, basal cell carcinoma and hemangioma. We cannot do much to protect dogs that are genetically predisposed to skin cancer except not to breed dogs with these tumors or from lines with a high incidence of tumors.Protection from UV ray exposure is an important part of prevention for dogs that have very light colored skin and sparse coats.That can include keeping them inside and out of sun exposure during prime time (10am - 3pm), using baby safe sun screen on their noses, sparsely haired muzzle areas, ears and abdomen skin, and goggles for eye protection. Dogs that are breed for lack of fur, like Chinese Crested or Mexican Hairless do benefit from light, UV protective clothing even in warmer weather. I hope this information is helpful, please let me know if you have any further questions.