Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cavalier spaniel has been sick several times this afternoon.

My cavalier spaniel has been sick several times this afternoon. Just now she brought up what looked like Hydrangea leaves (I have a large plant in the hall on the floor in an urn). She is drinking lots of water and seems otherwise ok, should I be concerned ?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Lucy has vomited several times and apparently has eaten leaves off a hydrangea plant.Hydrangea plants are toxic for dogs. They contain Cyanogenic glycoside.Signs of toxicity include vomiting, depression, and diarrhea. Cyanide intoxication is rare, and this plant usually produces more of a gastrointestinal disturbance. If she ingested a huge quantity of leaves then cyanide toxicity theoretically could cause cardiovascular collapse, but that sort of toxicity is not something we usually see with plant ingestion, rather those signs are seen with intoxication via cyanide gas directly breathed into the lungs and absorbed rapidly into circulation. To treat her stomach upset you can give her acid reducers to try and settle her stomach. Either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 20 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 20 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary. A couple hours after one of the acid reducers is given you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick. If that goes well then late today or tomorrow start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 plain, boiled, white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, until she is eating normally, then start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back over a period of 5 to 7 days. Keep in mind that some dogs that are feeling nauseous will eat plant material, so the hydrangea while making her nauseous too may not be the whole problem. If she is not improving she should see her veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests.Please let me know if you have any further questions.