Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 14 year old female cat who has been doing

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old female cat who has been doing something strange with her mouth every so often for quite a few months now. I've had her mouth examined by a vet and they can't seem to find anything seriously wrong - I would like to send you a video to show you what I mean.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Cindy is behaving strangely, making some unusual with her mouth.I would be happy to look at a video. You can post a link to a video by using the paperclip icon on the toolbar at the top of your text box on this page, or post it to a file sharing site like youtube or imgur (http://imgur.com/ ) and give me the link.However most of the time when older display abnormal mouth motions it is related to nausea or pain.I understand that your veterinarian took blood and examined her closely under sedation and was unable to find the problem.Did they take radiographs of her tooth roots, jaw and inner ears? Those could all be the source of her trouble. While things may look fine on the surface tooth root fractures or abscess under the gums are very painful, as is TMJ arthritis and an inner ear infection/mass.Screening bloodwork is great but may miss pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease and abdominal masses which could make her nauseous and uncomfortable. If she isn't coming along radiographs of her jaws, inner ears, and abdomen would be reasonable, and so would an abdominal ultrasound.In the meantime in case this is nausea to try and settle her stomach today you can try either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be used long term if needed.To stimulate her appetite offer her a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, white skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. You can add warmed chicken broth to increase palatability and get more fluids in. Feed several small meals a day. Your veterinarian could also prescribe a pain medication called buprenex. If this is pain related she should eat better with that, and then you know that we need to look closer to find the source of discomfort.Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions or have posted the video to give me the link.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your answer. I have actually posted the video to my wall on Face Book - would I be able to let you look at it on there? If not I'll try posting it on one of the other sites.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I am not on Facebook, so I cannot view your page to see your video. If you can post it to one of the sites I mentioned I would be more than happy to take a look, thanks, ***** *****