Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a 4 year old springer spaniel who has been very lethargic

Customer Question

Hi I have a 4 year old springer spaniel who has been very lethargic over the last 2 days, walking like an old man with his tail between his legs, off his food although he did manage a couple of mouthfuls of weaterbix yesterday and today he has taken water at last about a half a pint,, should i leave it another day before taking him to a vet ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Did he get into anything? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1, No vomiting

2, No pre existing conditions

3, He cut his paw last week which he has licked and has healed ?

4, just walks very slow, his breathing may have increased but that just might be me worrying

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the symptoms that you are describing could be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. Given the quick onset and the way he is walking I suspect he may be in pain; very likely secondary to a pinched nerve or a pulled muscle along the back. The best option for Copper is having him checked today by a veterinarian and not wait any longer. You see, if this is related to a pinched nerve prognosis is better when we start treatment early. Once your vet starts him on prescription anti inflammatory and pain medication he will feel so much better. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!