Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Perhaps you should know I based in the UK, my 14 yr

Hi, perhaps you should know I based in the UK,
my 14 yr old female cat (neutered)went to the vets 7 days ago to have a tooth removed and a dental clean up.
That all went well and Charlie was soon home.
Then I noticed a lump -about the size of a golf ball- between her shoulders in the area where she was given an injection.
I went back to the VETs who took a sample and sent it off to be analyzed-it came back all clear not cancerous.
It was then thought to be a reaction to the injection so we were given antibiotics (twice a day)and Meloxidyl 5.1 units once daily with food.
I checked out Meloxidyl on line and discovered it was the same as Metacam a product that caused the death of one of my other cats a few years back-acute renal failure.
I have spoken to the vet who has told me that Meloxidyl is approved for cats and that she has never had a problems in the past.
What I'm looking for is a second view on this treatment, is there a better alternative to treat this lump? what is likely to happen if we only use the antibiotics?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian also based in the UK and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has your lass had any bloods checked prior to her dental to assess her kidney function?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes-the result was good for her age and she has no other health issues

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Anthony,

Now Meloxicam (the active ingredient in both preparations you mentioned) is a drug that is excreted via the kidneys. Therefore, there have been some reports of kidney issues with its use. That said, these are in practice quite uncommon and for a cat with known normal kidney function the risk is actually quite low. That said, with your previous experience (though I do wonder if a few years ago they had used the cat specific Metacam or if it was back when the dog one was still being used for cats --since that was when we saw more issue), I can completely understand your wariness of this drug.

In that case, you do not need to use this if you do not wish to. I would ask your vet what the biopsy found (as opposed to what it isn't). If infection was suspect from the report, then the antibiotics should be enough. If it was thought to be an allergic reaction to something in the injection, then you can use an antihistamine (ie Piriton/Chlorphenamine @ a dose of 2-4mg every 12 hours) instead of an anti-inflammatory. And if Charlie had any pain from this, then Bupenorphine/Temgesic would be a pain relief alternative that is very kidney friendly (as its actually commonly used in dialysis patients in human medicine).

Overall, despite your previous experience with this drug, we rarely see kidney issues when it is used appropriately in cats with normal kidney function and hydration. Therefore, this would be considered a low risk situation for Charlie. Still, it is worth seeing what the report actually found in the lump. Because again, infection can just be treated with antibiotics and allergic reactions can benefit from antihistamines instead. Therefore, it is very unlikely given when this may be that you have to give the Meloxicam. So, if you are not comfortable, you can absolutely stop this drug and speak to her vet about these other possible options alongside the antibiotic as needed.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the quick reply-good news!

But I'm not quite sure what this means..."Therefore, it is very unlikely given when this may be that you have to give the Meloxicam."

regards

Anthony

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Anthony,

My apologies there, I was typing too quick and managed to mash together my sentences. I meant to say that it is very unlikely that you have to give the Meloxicam. By that I meant, that antibiotics are sufficient for addressing infections and antihistamines for tackling allergic reactions. There is no one differential that would absolutely require us to use this drug. :)

All the best for Charlie,
Dr. B.