Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

We have what appears to be a serious problem with our new budgie.

Customer Question

we have what appears to be a serious problem with our new budgie. After a week without problems, at lunchtime yesterday, he fell off his perch and was rolling about on the floor of his cage with what appeared to be a neck problem with it twisted round and upwards. He was in a very stressed state and we took him straight to the vet and after an injection of three supplements including iodine he made a small recovery. However this has not been sustained and this evening I visited him and although he appeared largely unperturbed, he did from time to time roll over and seemed unable to right himself for a few minutes. At no time has he showed signs of being in pain although he is obviously distressed while it is happening.
The vet is awaiting x-rays and we will know more tomorrow morning. He has suggested Torticollus or maybe exposure to Polyoma virus PDD (Proventricular Deficiency Disorder) and has asked us to check with you that your birds are screened for that so that so it can be eliminated as a possible cause.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please note that torticollis only describes the twisting of Buddy's neck; it's a symptom rather than a specific disease. While PDD has been identified in most all of our psittacine birds, it's a rare finding in budgies. I would expect gastrointestinal symptoms such as regurgitation and diarrhea along with the usual nonspecific signs of weight loss, inappetence, weakness, depression, and lethargy seen with most all avian illnesses. We do see neurological symptoms with PDD - seizures, abnormal head movements, ataxia ("drunken sailor") - but they're not as common as GI signs.
Torticollis can represent any disorder affecting the vestibular (balance) system either in the inner ear or brain. Systemic infection, trauma, intoxication, neoplasia (not in such a young bird), and nutritional imbalances all need to be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much, your advice is much appreciated and confirms that decided by our local vet. After two doses of a course of antibiotics Buddy has improved enough for us to bring him home. He is surprisingly back to his old self and we thank you for your advice. Regards ***** *****
What a great update! Thank you for taking the time to let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have posted a share on Facebook in appreciation.