How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 31086
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now

My pomeranian has eaten some lint choc he weighs about 13

Resolved Question:

hi my pomeranian has eaten some lint choc he weighs about 13 lbs. and i reckon he has eaten about 5 oz. he seems his usual self very lively. regards maureen
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- What type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.)? 2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was milk chocolate and it was less than first expected . No I don't have it x

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
So, it was less than 5 oz? If so, how much?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
So, it was less than 5 oz? If so, how much?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About 3 oz

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, chocolate toxicity is very dependent on the type, amount consumed and weight of the dog. 3 oz of milk chocolate will not be systemically toxic or fatal to a 13 lbs dog; you may see some mild vomiting or diarrhea otherwise your dog will be fine. I would recommend you observe him for the next 24 hours. If he develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Note: Symptoms that require immediate vet care are: Hyperactivity, changes in respiration, tremors/seizures, etc. If no symptoms after 24 hours, highly unlikely for symptoms to develop. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you