Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is a havanna oriental chocolate ....he is having problems

Customer Question

my cat is a havanna oriental chocolate ....he is having problems with his breathing we have had all the tests done and this has been going on for 6 months or more all his air ways are fine etc he also makes a noise well breathing and he has to take big breaths ,he does breath though his nose and mouth ,he does get a wet nose
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please confirm for me that X-rays of Treachle's heart and lungs have been performed and no abnormal findings were seen. Please let me know if his heart auscultates (sounds) normal and if either a proBNP blood test or ultrasound of his heart has been performed in an attempt to rule out cardiovascular disease.
Asthma would appear to be the primary rule-out in such a patient. It's important to know that the lungs can appear normal - perhaps a bit overinflated which is easy to miss when evaluating X-rays - in X-rays and so when my index of suspicion is high for asthma yet I can't see signs of that disorder in either X-rays or a complete blood count (elevated eosinophils/a white blood cell would be contributory to the diagnosis of asthma), I might see how a trial of a corticosteroid such as prednisolone affects Treachle.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help ,all the tests you mention has come back clear, my vet is now gonna try him on the meds you have surgested ,so I well let you know , many thanks cathy darbon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help ,all the tests you mention has come back clear, my vet is now gonna try him on the meds you have surgested ,so I will let you know , many thanks cathy darbon

Thank you, Cathy. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi , there is no change in treacle and its been a week now ,my vet is not convinced its asthma ,so not sure where to go from here.all I know is his breathing is making me sad to see him like it

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update, Cathy. The next diagnostic of choice would be having his respiratory tract scoped by a veterinary specialist internist as can be found here: http://www.ecvim-ca.org/diplomate-list We need to look for obstructive lesions such as inflammatory polyps.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.