Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My dog has broken one of his lower front teeth and it has now

my dog has broken one of his lower front teeth and it has now turned black. He is not in any pain or distress what is the consequence if i do nothin?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, It could develop a tooth root abscess, which can subsequently impact the roots of surrounding teeth. So, if 8 years of age, and likely in need of a dental cleaning anyway, I would have this tooth addressed. The most cost effective course to take is simply having it extracted. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. The rest of my dog's teeth are in excellent condition. If I dont have it extracted what are the symptoms that I would notice that a tooth root abscess has developed?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
That's the problem. Not until a lot of damage has been done. You may start to see a swelling forming in the jaw beneath the tooth. The tooth may become loose. Possible awkward chewing or hypersalivating.Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you that has informed my decision. Extraction it is. Many thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good Luck!Dr. Andy