Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has a sore leg ,front left, he has not injured it

Hi my dog has a sore leg ,front left, he has not injured it as far as I know. And there is nothing in the paw like a thorn etc. But when he stands up and puts weight on it he limps. A bit like someone with planter fasciitis, can dogs suffer with this ???
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Is he on any medications? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The limp has been happening for 2 weeks now, I had started to increase the exercise again but the limp is almost worse than before. He got liquid painkiller from my vet. Other than that he has no other issues.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he currently on the pain killer? If so, what is the name? 2- Did your vet take xrays?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Painkiller is Loxicom 1.5mg , no extracts taken yet.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, in response to your question, yes, dogs can get plantar fasciitis. But, there are many other possible causes for the lameness that you are describing like other types of soft tissues (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury, joint disorders (arthritis, OCD), a pinched nerve, etc. If he has been on Loxicom and there is no improvement I would strongly recommend to discuss with your family veterinarian about taking xrays. In the meantime continue on Loxicom and rest him for 4-6 weeks; no running or jumping. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!