Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Thank you earlier answers which were very helpful.

Customer Question

Thank you for your earlier answers which were very helpful. One further point if I may. Following a completed and successful course of antibiotics our vet has recommended that as the treatment included doses of iodine, we should have the final dose of
iodine which came with the pack. As budgie appears as fit as a fiddle we are slightly concerned that we should leave well alone. My question to you please is can budgies have too much iodine or will this additional dose be ok to proceed with?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You opened up a new question rather than staying in our old conversation and I wasn't alerted to that fact. In any event, to answer you directly, I don't know why iodine would be indicated unless a "bump" were detected in Buddy's neck - a goiter representing thyroid hypertrophy. A drop of Lugol's solution in a cup of water is effective in those cases but eating a balanced diet is a better way of treating iodine deficiency in birds. Adding hard boiled egg yolk, dairy products, the tops of fresh greens, colored vegetables, fruits, and even tiny pieces of meat to Buddy's diet is always a good idea. Please also consider balanced pelleted diets such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/ and here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds/ Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again. Buddy did have the iodine dose and appears well and normal and we will give him a balanced diet from now on. Your advice was much appreciated. Hopefully Buddy will continue to thrive and enjoy our company for many years. Regards Dudley
You're welcome, Dudley. I expect Buddy to do well - particularly because he has such a good caretaker.
Thank you once again.
I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.