Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My budgie has diarrhoea what can I get to treat him. I addopted

my budgie has diarrhoea what can I get to treat him. I addopted him a couple of years ago so I don't know how old he is
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the diarrhoea look like (ie mostly water/liquid, discoloured, blood, mucus, etc)?

How long has he had this?

How is his appetite and thirst?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

diaarrhoea is mushy

has had it a week

he regularly eats and drinks a little

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Davis.

First, I have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that Benjie has had these signs for a week already. This means we need to be proactive here since he will be losing fluids and nutrition with this. And if it continues, we could see dehydration, weakness, weight loss, and collapse.

Now the dilemma here is that birds, just like people, can have diarrhoea for a range of reasons. This can be related to bacterial or viral infections, but also parasites, protozoa, dietary sensitivities, fungal infections, metabolic diseases, organ issues (ie kidney, liver, etc), toxin exposures, pancreatic disease, and even cancer. So, there is no one treatment that can clear diarrhoea, but instead we have to appreciate that this is a red flag and that we need to tread with case. Especially since birds often will pretend all is fine until there are in an advanced stage. As well, since protracted diarrhoea can quickly dehydrate and cause nutritional losses in birds.

In regards ***** ***** treatments, you will be limited with what can safely be done at home. That said, if he has only had a few abnormal stools and it is not profuse, then you can try keeping him on his normal diet but remove any veggies or fruit for 24 hours. While doing so, do supplement him with an avian vitamin +/- probiotic to support his gut (ie Avipro Plus) from your local vet or pet store. Of course, while doing that, do make sure that you keep fresh water down so that he can drink and maintain hydration. As well, if you have not already, do make sure to only use paper for his cage, so that we can easily monitor what he is passing. If you do this, for 24 hours but the diarrhoea continues, then we do have to be wary of those other issues being afoot.

If basic supportive care doesn't settle this for him and we do have to consider infections agents and internal issues; we'd be best to have him and a stool sample examined by his vet at that stage. The stool sample will be key here since it will allow us to determine if we have an infectious reason (ie parasitic, protozoal, bacterial, viral, or fungal) for the diarrhoea. If any of these are found, appropriate treatment to clear them can be dispensed. Otherwise, if he were clear, then we'd have to consider those internal disease and bloods and/or xray may be indicated. And while those diseases do carry more guarded prognoses then infectious agents, the sooner they are diagnosed the more chance we can treat them to help him recover or at least remain comfortable.

Overall, diarrhoea in the bird can be triggered by a wide range of issues. So, if he has had this for a week and is potentially older, we do have to consider all of the above. And in this case, you can start supportive care for our more mild issues but consider a fecal sample +/- exam with your local vet if he is not settling. That way we can diagnose which agent is present and treat this as effectively as possible for your wee lad.

If you don't have a specialist avian vet, you can check where you can find one at near you at the RCVS Register (HERE), AAV (HERE), or Avian web (LINK).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.