Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our young dog has torn the ligaments in her ankle. The vet

Our young dog has torn the ligaments in her ankle. The vet has said that the only treatment is surgery, and referred us to Fitzpatrick's. The cost is going to be enormous.
Is there anywhere else that can do this. Or any other option?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if Mira has torn the ligaments in her ankle, then surgery is usually the best course of action for a young dog. Otherwise, we risk severe lameness, possible compromise of the joint due to scarring, and arthritis for that joint in the future.

If Fitzpatrick's surgical approach is too costly, then do speak to your vet about other alternative specialists in your area. For example, you can have them contact the RVC vet school as they have surgical specialists of the same calibre as Fitzpatricks. Otherwise, you can also check the RCVS register (HERE) for the specialist you need. And I would note that many of these specialist surgeons will review xrays and discuss Mira's case with your vet prior to referral to ensure they can address this properly for her. And if we contact a range of surgeons in your area, we can get an idea of possible surgical options and they can hopefully give you a price that may be more manageable.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )