Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have rescued a 5 year old Rottweiler, he has been in rescue

Customer Question

I have rescued a 5 year old Rottweiler, he has been in rescue for 10 months before that he has 2 different homes.
I can do most things with him he is very affectionate, BUT I muzzle him going to the vets
My dog flew at the vet the minute she tried to cuddle him and was unable to look in his ears.
Can you suggest anything to calm this lovely dog.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This is a common trait in some rescue dogs. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get Luke over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until he realizes that these fears will not hurt him. To do this, first avoid these while making your dog comfortable in his situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, he is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety. Take Luke to the vet when he is not seen by the vet and give him treats to get him used to going to this place that will not harm him.Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective. If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help him past this. Take Luke to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose him to the things he fears, even the vets office over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when he does something positive. Here is a site with more tips: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****