Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I got a kitten about 2 weeks ago, he's now 10 weeks old and

I got a kitten about 2 weeks ago, he's now 10 weeks old and beautiful. He had his shots last weekend and was dewormed, since then he has had awful diarrhea and for the last 3 days there has been blood, not every time he goes but it still make me worry. He doesn't drink kitty milk and eats Whiskas - nothing has changed in his diet except I now give him Encore, third of the pouch 3 times a day.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am so sorry to hear that your kitten has had diarrhea, sometimes with blood, since his vaccines and deworming. Diarrhea in kittens is often due to parasites, eating things that they shouldn't and eating too much table food or treats, or sensitivity to the diet being fed.Blood in the stool can be from a parasite or simply from having a very irritated intestinal tract from several days of loose stools.I know that he has been wormed but no medication covers all parasites. Ideally you should have his veterinarian check at least a couple fresh stool samples for parasites as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and could be part of his trouble. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative, thus the need for more than one sample check. I realize that can't be done until Monday but parasites are a very common cause of loose stools in kittens. It is possible that he is sensitive to something in the Encore pouch that you are adding, so for now discontinuing that may help too.If he still feels well in general now though we can try some things at home to help with the diarrhea in the meantime.I would not feed him any food for 8-12 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility.Small amounts of water given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with diarrhea. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too.Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate (kaolin and pectin formulation) at 1/2ml per kilogram or 1 teaspoon per 2.25 kilograms of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat his irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.After his food fast start a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, white skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1/2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin or cooked plain squash to each meal since you are seeing blood in her stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.I would add probiotics designed for cats to his bland diet like Fortiflora or Proviable to rebalance his gut bacteria, as the bacteria population is often off with diarrhea. Another option is a probiotic paste called Benebac, which can be used in dogs and cats.If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have loose stools with no improvement after being on kao pectate and probiotics for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.Once he feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in what will be his regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The reason I started him on Encore was because it is just boiled chicken or fish with rice and stock.

What kind of stores would sell Kao-pectate? I've been checking all the drug stores in the uk online and I cant find any that sell it. Is there an alternative to that that would be easily found?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
You can look for a generic kaolin and pectin formulation, kao pectate is just the brand name formulation. If in doubt the chemist at the local pharmacy can help you find it.I know that Encore lists only the meat and rice as ingredients but I am wondering what is in the broth, and if there are added fats then that may be the issue, or it may be the preservative.I would try to keep his diet very simple until we figure out what is causing the upset, so home cooked, boiled is best for now.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.