Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

My dog a 8 year old Labrador has been struggling to

My dog a 8 year old Labrador has been struggling to urinate for 5 weeks now he had scans and ultrasounds carried out and they found he had cysts on his prostate and in his urethra he has been on prednidale 25mg x 2 tablets a day and has to be catheterised twice daily the vet has told me that he needs to have a permanent indwelling catheter fitted as surgery can not be done to repair the damage is this true or is surgery an option
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of Bailey's condition. Has Bailey been neutered, and if so, how long ago?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Bob
Bailey has been chemically castrated I asked the vet I use if getting him surgically castrated would help with his hormones affecting his prostate and he informed me that this was not the problem and that the cysts that he developed in his prostate and urethra could not be operated on as any tissue he cut away would only grow back and the only option was an indwelling catheter but I can't believe there isn't a procedure to repaired the damage ? Also the chemical castration was in pill form and was supposed to last 6 months but I have noticed no difference in him if anything he is worse after taking the pills ( dry humping) anything he can get hold of do you think that surgical castration could help solve the problem with the cysts in his prostate and urethra and also is there a procedure that can be done to repaire his prostate/urethra do I need to seek out a specialist ?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, sorry for the delay, I was in surgery for the past hour. I can tell you without reservation that, in my experience, prostate problems are almost always greatly helped by castration. Cancer of the prostate would be the major exception to this rule.Do you know the name of the medication used in the chemical castration, and how long has it been since it was first given?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late response the pills used for chemical castration were called ypozane 15mg taken 1 a day for 7 days and last for 6 months he took these about 2 months ago
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. If the problem was simple benigh prostatic hypertrophy the ypozane should have given Bailey the relief he needed. Surgical castration would be my next step, hoping for a reduction in the swelling of the prostate, but I'm not privy to all of the facts and findings in Bailey's case. The indwelling catheter would be my last resort. Indwelling catheters are a problem in allowing bacteria to enter the urinary tract much more readily resuting in an increased incidence of infection. Some dogs may experience urinary incontinence as well. If this is the only option available to you, and you can live with the side-effects, then you'll have to do what you can. If you have further questions, please feel free to let me know,
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
P.S. You could seek a second opinion before having the catheter placed, and if Bailey were my dog, I think I would do that for him. Prostate surgery is complicated and not without its own set of complications. I would not have that done at all, the catheter being the lesser of two evils. Kind regards, *****
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice