Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have guinea pig. He is about 7 years old and has problem

Hi, I have guinea pig. He is about 7 years old and has problem about passing his poo.
All his poo is stacking in his anal and his bottom is sticking out from body.
Hi is still eating well but he can not walk much as carrying stretched bottom.
Please help.
Kind regards,
Hiroe
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, Hiroe. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this is not an uncommon situation for our guinea pigs. We often see this related to guinea pigs that are taking in too little fiber in their diets. As well, do be aware that the longer they have this issue, the more likely we are to see changes to the peri-rectal region (ie swelling, pocketing, stretching of the tissue) making them even more prone to these impactions.

Now instead of feeding lots of fruits and vegetables, you want to instead ensure that your lad is getting more fiber in his diet. To do so, we need to make sure he is eating his hay. If he is choosing pellets or veggies/fruit over hay, then these other dietary components may need to be decreased to ensure he meets his fiber needs.

Otherwise, if he isn't keen to eat more hay for us, then the next option would be to use a high fiber pelleted diet called Pro-fiber Pellets (LINK). These can be fed on their own or mixed into the current diet to increase his GI fiber load and firm up his feces. Alternatively, you can use Fiber Plex (LINK), a fibre paste supplement that you can administer orally. Both of these are available over the counter at the vets, some pet stores, and online and will just bulk up this feces as well as support his good GI microflora.

Finally, if you are keen to feed vegetables (which are better since fruit has a lot of sugar and not much fiber), you can offer high fiber options like pumpkin, carrot, or broccoli.

Overall, the most common reason for this in guinea pigs is related to what they are choosing to eat. So, do ensure that all of Jean Pierre's food are high fiber to help him bulk up his feces and pass them properly. Of course, if there is severe swelling here, then you may need to assist him as you are or have this checked by his vet to assess if the use of a guinea pig safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam) may reduce some of the swelling and aid him in normal fecal passage as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )