Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My German shepherd hurt herself scratching. What can I do?

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How old is your dog? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- Where did she hurt herself? 4- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My dog is 9 today Been going on for two days

On her right shoulder

Not sure of her weight I think about 50kg

1- Is she scratching with her legs or she able to get to it with her mouth? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Is she currently on any medications? 4- Is she scratching in other places in her body?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is scratching with her legs.

No preexisting conditions she is a rescue dog she has lived with me for 17 months

Occasional scratch elsewhere but nothing unusual.

Friend, it is important that you stop her from scratching or she will delay healing. This is what you can do: 1- Have groomer trim her nails and place a light bandage over her paw. You may also find doggie boots in your local pet store to cover her nails to prevent the self inflicted damage to the skin. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. 3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic; you can buy a topical antibiotic in your local pharmacy (chemist). Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. 4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter