Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My German shepherd hurt herself scratching. What can I do?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How old is your dog? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- Where did she hurt herself? 4- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My dog is 9 today Been going on for two days

On her right shoulder

Not sure of her weight I think about 50kg

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is she scratching with her legs or she able to get to it with her mouth? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Is she currently on any medications? 4- Is she scratching in other places in her body?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is scratching with her legs.

No preexisting conditions she is a rescue dog she has lived with me for 17 months

Occasional scratch elsewhere but nothing unusual.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, it is important that you stop her from scratching or she will delay healing. This is what you can do: 1- Have groomer trim her nails and place a light bandage over her paw. You may also find doggie boots in your local pet store to cover her nails to prevent the self inflicted damage to the skin. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. 3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic; you can buy a topical antibiotic in your local pharmacy (chemist). Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. 4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter