Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog is on antibiotics water infection,she has one

Customer Question

My dog is on antibiotics for a water infection,she has one more left for today and two for tomorrow,however they are now making her sick do I continue with them or not?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if this has started so far into the antibiotic course, we do have to be wary to whether this is the cause of her sickness. In any case though, if she has been sick, then we can stop the medication for 24 hours to let her stomach settle. While doing so, consider putting her on a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese) to soothe her stomach upset.

If she settles, we can then restart her antibiotics to finish the course and prevent relapse. When you restart these, just to offset any more nausea, you can consider pre-treating with an antacid like Zantac/Ranitidine (2mg per kilogram every 12 hours) or Milk of Magnesia ( 0.5 tsp every 12 hours). Either can be given 20 minutes before her antibiotics to reduce the risk of nausea. And of course, if she doesn't settle, we'd need to ring her vet when they are open to discuss whether their exam findings did note any another issue that could now be causing her nausea.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )