Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 13 yr old Norfolk terrier,who has a heart murmur,has been

Customer Question

My 13 yr old Norfolk terrier,who has a heart murmur,has been advised by a vet to take 1x200mg tablet of thyforon,to treat a thyroid condition (loss of hair),which blood tests are showing the thyroid is "boarder line" in function.
I have read a DEFRA report that states that Thyforon can cause congestive heart failure and the dog should be treated with glucocorticoid prior to taking this medication.
Is this correct.
Your sincerely
Paul Locks
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Paul, Thyforon is levothyroxin (T4) - the hormone lacking in hypothyroid dogs. There's no reason to believe that it would cause congestive heart failure except if egregiously overdosed which is very difficult to do with this hormone. The pill contains 200 micrograms which is the amount a 20 lb dog would initially be prescribed to be given twice daily. Rechecking Brambie's T4 (total thyroid blood test) 3-4 weeks after initiating therapy is important to see if that dose is appropriate or needs modification. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.