Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My nieces dog needs to go to the vet tomorrow from where he

My nieces dog needs to go to the vet tomorrow from where he has been scratching and made himself bleed we believe he now has a infection. He is obviously uncomfortable is there anything we can give him to make him more comfortable
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if Blue has caused himself bleeding sores from itching, then the first step here would be to clean these. To do so, you can use dilute chlorohexidine or salt water (1tbsp of salt to a pint of warm water).

Afterwards, we need to protect that sore skin. So, depending on where he is itching, you can either put a tshirt on him, boxer shorts (reversed so there is a hole for his tail) or both as needed.

Otherwise, until he sees his vet tomorrow, you can help reduce his itchiness by treating with OTC Piriton (Chlorphenamine) for your local chemist or grocery store. In regards ***** ***** we can give 4-8mg every 8 hours. If he is a small dog, he can have 4mg, but larger dogs can have the full dose. Do be aware that it can cause drowsiness, but this is likely unwelcome if he has been agitated with itching all day.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )