Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My Rottweiler has a sticky patch on his shoulder that is

Hi my Rottweiler has a sticky patch on his shoulder that is causing him to scratch then smell the paw - I think this is called sticky or wet eczema ? is there any thing I can do it seems to be now spreading to another area on the other shoulder
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What does it look like? Red, raw, and on the skin level? Any pus?

Does it have an odor?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The two patches are red on the skin due to scratching , the hair is very sticky, matted and a little smelly - it is about a 3 inch area.

My Rotty has had this before when I first got him ( he is a rescue dog ) about 2 years ago it was then diagnosed as wet eczema, I can not remember what cleared it up at that time.

Do you know the cause and treatment please and how do I avoid in future.

Please accept that I am nearly 70 years old and not that competent on the internet, so sorry no photos.

I am on basic state pension and would be very grateful for any help that will help me avoid going to a vet, that would leave me under pressure money wise.

Thank You Alan

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alan,

If you are seeing wet eczema (which is also known as moist dermatitis), this is a skin bacterial infection. It can arise when the skin is traumatized (even microscopically) or in dogs with allergies. Now if it is just one lesion, you can try to topically treat this at home. Of course, if it is severe or not settling; then he may need to treated with oral antibiotics and steroids.

Still at this stage, in regards ***** ***** care, we will want to bathe this affected area with dilute chlorohexidine or salt water (1tbsp per pint warm water) as mild antiseptics. This should be done 2-3 times a day, and dried afterwards. You can then choose to apply a over the counter triple antibiotic ointment to the site if you wish. And if he is very itchy, this can be alternated with an OTC hydrocortisone cream. If the hair prevents you from doing so, then you may need to also clip it back over this lesion. That will allow you access but also help dry it out and heal quicker.

Finally, just in case this is being triggered by an underlying allergy, I would note that you can consider bathing in him an emollient shampoo (ie oatmeal based) to soothe his skin. As well, you can try him with a low dose of Benadryl (More Info/Dose) today. Of course, you do need to speak to your vet first if he has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications but often we can give these wee ones 0.5- 2 mg per pound (1 -4 mg/kg) orally twice daily to help soothe itchiness. Do note that we can see drowsiness and sedation with the higher end of the dose (just like people). As well, to keep him from bothering this area, you can put a tshirt (which is breathable fabric) on him to cover and protect the area from further damage.

Overall, we do have a few considerations for his signs but at this stage would want to take the above steps to settle the infection, prevent further self-trauma, and soothe his skin and allow it to heal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you ! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.