Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog is due his Frontline flea treatment on Friday 7th August

My dog is due his Frontline flea treatment on Friday 7th August but has a flea that is making his life a misery with bites on his legs and around the tail. Would it be ok to give him treatment a few days early please?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** Gus now, that is absolutely fine. We can even use these every 2 weeks when needed. That said, if you have found the Frontline to be less effective as of late, I would warn that we are seeing increasing flea resistance to it these days. Therefore, you may want to instead consider using an alternative treatment (ie Advocate, Activyl, Vectra-3D, Advantage II or Advantix) at this point to protect him from fleas.

Finally, if Gus is chewing himself raw with this, I would note that you can reduce his itchiness (since it is a flea allergy dermatitis that often makes them bite/scratch) by treating him with OTC Piriton (chlorphenamine). Generally speaking, we can treat dogs with 4 mg every 8 hours or as needed to just soothe the allergic irritation the flea saliva causes. Of course, do be aware that this can make them a wee bit drowsy and do plan to check with his vet first if he has any health issues or is on any medication you didn't mention.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Doctor B, that's fantastic news that I can apply the Frontline early. Gus normally responds well to it but I will try another make if this happens again. Can I buy the 'normal' OTC Piriton or do I have to get a dog-specific make please?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Colleen.

If he responds well, then that is grand and we can use it now. In regards ***** ***** I was referring to human over the counter Piriton available at our chemists or grocery stores. There is no dog specific one, as the human one is safe to use for them.

All the best,
Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)