Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 5 year old German Shepherd is vomiting bright yellow thick

My 5 year old German Shepherd is vomiting bright yellow thick bike. Her stools seem normal but she is off her food
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been vomiting on and off for 2 days about once a day. Her gums are pink and moist but not sticky. She is drinking plenty of water and keeping it down. Her tummy shows no signs of being uncomfortable or swollen. As far as I'm aware she has not eaten anything she shouldn't, I haven't found anything missing in the house and when walked she is kept on a lead so I would notice is she ate something on our walks but she has been chewing a little grass when we are out.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Julia.

First, I am glad to hear that she is keeping water down despite her vomiting and has none of those worrisome signs I asked about. In that case, if ingestion of harmful items is less likely for Cleo, then we'd be most suspicious that her GI upset is either due to a grumbling bacterial or viral infection or pancreatitis. Other potential issues that can cause these signs include parasitic infestations, metabolic or organ issues (though hopefully not the case).

Now since she is otherwise well and able to keep water down, we can try some supportive care for her at this stage. To do so, we can address her nausea (which will triggering vomiting and appetite loss) with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose ). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset stomach.

Once that is on board, we can then see if we can get her eating. When doing so, we often start these dogs on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis, notable Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity. Whichever you choose, it is best to feed this as small frequent meals to reduce any GI upset. And once she is settled, we can slowly wean her back to her normal diet.

On top off all of this, you do need to keep an eye on her water intake and hydration status. If possible, you do want to check her hydration now. To check this and make sure she is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have Cleo seen by the vet before this gets any further out of control.

Overall, when a dog has GI upset signs of this nature, we do have to be wary fo the cause. Still, since she can keep water down, we can try to settle her stomach at this stage. If you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours (sooner if she does appears bloated, dehydrated, or cannot keep water down at any stage), then we'd want to follow up with her vet at that point to ensure nothing sinister afoot. Her vet can check for fever, rule out dehydration, and make sure there are no sinister lumps or bumps in her abdomen. Depending on their findings, the vet will be able to cover her with antibiotics and anti-nausea/vomiting medication by injection to help settle her stomach and get her back to eating properly for you.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your great advice. I shall be doing what you suggest and take it from there. If there is no improvement I will make an appointment with my vet tomorrow. Thanks again
Julia