Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Should an (8 week old) staff pup role her eyes and twitch uncontrollably

Customer Question

should an (8 week old) staff pup role her eyes and twitch uncontrollably on a regular basis
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. It sounds like your little one is suffering from seizure episodes and those are not normal for any breed or age. You are right to be concerned for her.Has your girl had any vaccines yet?How are her littermates?Seizures are rhythmic, repetitive, muscle movements which the dog is unable to control and often loses consciousness during. Many dogs will repeatedly have chewing motions and/or leg motions, their third eyelids may raise, and they can lose urine and stool control. There can be several reasons for seizures.The most common is idiopathic epilepsy. That means that we don't know why but a circuit of sensitive neurons in the brain gets stuck repeatedly firing. Epilepsy occurs most frequently for the first time in dogs 6 months to 6 years of age so she is young for this to be the cause of her episodes. We do believe that there is a genetic basis for dogs to have epilepsy as certain breeds are more commonly afflicted and siblings will often have them as well. Other causes for seizures are viral (especially distemper in this age range), bacterial, parasitic or fungal infections, toxin exposure, hypothyroidism, metabolic diseases leading to waste products building up and affecting brain chemistry, low blood sugar, or even granulomas or masses in the brain.Most of the other disease processes that cause seizures other than epilepsy cause other symptoms, those dogs are sick or abnormal other than during the seizure. If her seizure resolves itself fairly quickly (5-10 minutes or less) and she only has the once you can take a watch and see approach. Expect that she will be tired and confused about what occurred. She may also be very hungry and thirsty, since seizures burn lots of calories and can be dehydrating.But in her case it sounds like she has had several seizures. If she has more than one seizure or remains very groggy/mentally unaware then she should be seen at an emergency clinic. Long term if she has epilepsy I have some suggestions for you.Some dogs with lower than normal seizure thresholds will seizure in response to being exposed to artificial colors, preservatives or gluten. So you might wish to feed her a diet without artificial dyes or flavors and one that is wheat free. Blue Buffalo purports to produce these sorts of foods.Decreasing stress is also a way to avoid seizures so if you know an event will be stressful for her avoid it if possible. You can also use calming sprays such as DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) or pheromone impregnated collars to keep her calm.Exercise should be kept at normal levels. Exercise is a great way to naturally relieve stress and increase positive endorphin levels in the brain. In a patient with seizures I would have your veterinarian examine her, check a biochemistry profile to look at organ health, thyroid profile, and a complete blood count. If she has not been vaccinated I would look for Distemper with blood tests. We do want to make sure there are no underlying problems.If her seizures are more frequent than once a month or more than one happens in a day, even if it has been several months since the last one, I would recommend medication to prevent them. The reason for that is the likelihood of status epilepticus (one seizure after another) and possible brain damage is higher with those scenarios and we wish to avoid that.In short dogs with seizure episodes are not normal, especially at her age, and should be examined and have testing done to look for a root cause.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

once she is treated for worms how long should it take to clear

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
If it is believed that she has a large parasite burden causing low blood sugar and secondary hypoglycemia seizures she should be much improved within a few days of treating the parasites, definitely within 5-7 days.