Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My vet gave me Buscopan 10mg dog to treat bronchitis

Customer Question

my vet gave me Buscopan 10mg for my dog to treat bronchitis is that what it is used for because I have just looked it up and it dosent mention anything about bronchitis I said to her and she said it was can you tell me if that is right .
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Buscopan contans hyoscyamine sulfate which is in the anticholinergic class of drugs and which may be useful for treating hypermotile gastrointestinal conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome or bradycardia (slow heart rate) in dogs. There's little use or experience with this drug in veterinary medicine. In humans it may be used to decrease pharyngeal, bronchial and tracheal secretions which must be why your dog's vet prescribed it. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.