Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My retrievor has inflamation at the base of his big pad on

My retrievor has inflamation at the base of his big pad on his left foot. It could have been caused by sand. I have washed it with salt water. What can I do to help him. He is limping
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is he licking the area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has been going on for 2 daYS. YES HE HAS LICKED BUT NOT EXCESSIVELY LIKE WHEN HE HAD A BROKEN CLAW

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, it is important that you stop him from licking. You see, the licking will further promote more inflammation. This is what you can try: 1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. 3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical cortisone cream. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy cortisone cream over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter