Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog is being treated with Nisamox 250mg i tablet twice a

Customer Question

My dog is being treated with Nisamox 250mg i tablet twice a day plus robenacoxib i tablet per day.
The vet thinks she has leptospyroses as she presented with a high temperature, depression and lack of appetite and a day later had jaundice.
She has been treated now for 10 days, on Sunday she seemed to be getting back to her old self but yesterday she went backwords and today is hardly able to stand. She will not eat, perhaps a couple of sausages a day. She is not drinking more than normal, her temperature is down, she seems to be loosing the jaundice but the depression and weakness persist.
She is breathing fast.
She is a twelve year old Border Collie
Could it be lungworm or something else other than leptospyroses
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are specific tests to determine if this is Leptosirosis and this should be done to be sure along with other blood tests to rule out liver disease and other conditions that could cause these symptoms in your sweet Kizzy. The fact that she is older worries me that this may be misdiagnosed and since the medications does not appear to eb effective, further testing must be done to know for sure if this treatment is appropriate for your sweet girl. Lungworm is unlikely although chest xrays would be good to knw what is causing this panting.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Steve, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope sweet Kizzy feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!