Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

We have a house pigeon (that often spends time in our duck

Customer Question

we have a house pigeon (that often spends time in our duck enclosure) who is 15 months old and in the middle of a big moult, a couple of days ago he started sounding horse and yesterday was a lot worse. we took him to an emergency vet last night who as helpful as he was admitted to not being an avian vet, he inspected his throat but found nothing wrong, he gave us some antibiotics Enrofloxacin (Baytril 2.5%) I know this is early but his voice seems worse Very quiet and horse but he is still acting normal wandering around and eating a bit. The vet said he was a bit thin but he has always been lean.
I am really worried about him, could you possibly shed some light on the matter.
Dennis
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Pragmatically speaking, because 80%+ of respiratory infections in pigeons involve either chlamydophila psittaci or mycoplasma spp., and both are susceptible to doxycycline, that antibiotic is preferable to enrofloxacin (Baytril). A 50 mg tablet/2 kg of body weight daily for 4-6 weeks may be necessary. Canker - a flagellated protozoal infection of pigeons - also needs to be considered when hoarseness exists but if the vet didn't see canker in the back of Pidge's throat we can avoid treating for that. Ideally, a choanal cytology and culture should be performed by an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) in order to identify the specific agent you're addressing but I would have no objection to your initiating doxycycline therapy and seeing how Pidge responds. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, my only question is would allowing Pidge in with the ducks have caused this.

Thankyou agin.Dennis.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
No, I don't believe so, Dennis. These infectious agents are endemic in pigeons. Even normal pigeons can be found to harbor them.
I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael, thank you for your help and advice, I took Pidge to an avian vet who prescribed different antibiotics also anti parasitic medication. He is responding wonderfully.

Thanks again

Dennis

What a good update! Thank you for taking the time to let me know.