Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 15 year old staffordshire terrier . within

i have a 15 year old staffordshire bull terrier bitch. within the last week i have noticed a very bad smell coming from her rear area (not wind). do you know what this could be ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
The most likely cause of an unpleasant odor in an otherwise healthy dog would be an issue with her anal glands. If a dog cannot fully express them when they pass feces, they can overfill/leak or become infected and impacted. In both cases, the odor is often quite pungent and foul to our noses. Therefore, in this case, I would advise either having her glands expressed by your local groomer or vet. If normal anal gland material is expressed, then this should address the issue for her. Of course, if pus is expressed, then she may need her vet to start her on a course of antibiotics.
Finally, to help her express her glands naturally, I would note that you can try adding more fiber to her daily meals. This can be by adding dog safe veggies (ie cauliflower, carrot, brocolli, etc) or even Weetabix. These will bulk up feces and help her express her anal glands as she passes stool.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )