Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

Evening ...I have a 12 year old male Bengal, I picked him up

Evening ...I have a 12 year old male Bengal, I picked him up as usual and put him down and his back legs just gave way. Doesn't see in pain but not him self.
Help?
Expert:  Vet replied 1 year ago.
Hi there vet Andrew here. A few questions:
1. Has Sugar got any existing medical conditions?
2. Is he able to move his tail?
3. Feel his front and hind paws - are the hinds cooler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 no existing or previous conditions
2 not moving under his own accord but reflex back when we move it
3 hind legs feel cooler than his front
Seems to have heavy breathing but wants to move. Not showing signs of pain and is calm.
Expert:  Vet replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nilain,
Given your answers and Sugar's presentation it sounds awfully like he has a rather serious condition called feline aortic thromboembolism, or saddle thrombus. This happens when a blood clot lodges in the arteries that supply the legs. The legs then 'fall asleep'. This condition is usually related to an underlying heart condition.
Some cats do recover use of their legs after this, so please don't worry too much at this stage. However, I do recommend in this case that you contact a local vet's emergency line for further advice, as there is nothing I can advise you to do over the internet. Just keep Sugar comfortable in the meantime.
I'm sorry I cannot do more to help, but these cases are not amenable to internet advice. If you wish to read more, here is a useful link: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=189&A=3351&S=0&EVetID=3001644
Please feel free to ask further questions.
Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read the link but he doesn't seem to be in pain, he's a vey vocal cat, is there any checks I could do ?
Expert:  Vet replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the lack of pain is not typical, but these cases do vary.
If you can, try to feel for a pulse in his hind legs. You will find the femoral pulse at the top of the leg, on the inside, in the middle of the thigh.
If his hind pads aren't pigmented, see if they are paler or bluer than the fronts.
Gently pinch a hind pad on each leg and see if he responds.
Let me know how you get on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help have just returned from the vet , DOA.
One of a kind, my Sugar.
Expert:  Vet replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear that. Please bear in mind that Sugar's condition is almost always a sign of a serious heart complaint that is otherwise silent. I wish you all the best.
Vet Andrew