Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog bit a toad this afternoon (think toad, not frog).

Customer Question

Hi. My dog bit a toad this afternoon (think toad, not frog). About 4 hours ago, he has been sick and has quite red gums. Ripon, N Yorhshire. Should I worry? Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
If a toad in the genus Bufo is merely mouthed and released by your dog, rinsing the oral cavity immediately and resting him should suffice. If chewed and/or swallowed more aggressive management is required and that consists of cardiac and/or neurologic monitoring and management. The modified parotid glands of these toads contain several toxins and they can cause cardiac arryhthmias (irregular heart rates). Pale mucous membranes - not "quite red gums" are expected in that case, however. I suspect you're seeing the irritation from those toxins rather than systemic intoxication. How does he appear to you otherwise? Stable? Bright? Alert? Active?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks! He is alert, stable, tired, but no surprise there, late and he's had an active day. We wondered about activated charcoal tablet? Thanks, Steve.
Sounds good! Activated charcoal is reasonable initially but efficacy of decontamination so late in the game won't be good, Steve. I wouldn't bother with it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think that the vomiting is likely to have cleared any toxins. If/when the gum redness subsides, can we use this as an indicator that he is over it?
Vomiting certainly is helpful. I can't know how much toxin was already systemically absorbed, however. It couldn't have been much if he has remained stable and his remaining stable is more important than the irritation of his gums. I don't know if there's a correlation between the length of time the gums remain red and how active the toxin is systemically. I can't imagine anybody has studied that!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much. I feel a lot happier. We're all going to bed, I'm sure little Roger will be ok. Very best regards, Steve.
Sleep well. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.