Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I had an eighth month old German Shepherd. One of his testicles

Customer Question

I had an eighth month old German Shepherd. One of his testicles hadn't dropped. Other than that he was a strong healthy dog. He went in to have them removed. Unfortunately he died whilst the vet was bringing him round after the operation. We were told the operation went well and that there were no complications during the operation. As you can imagine we are totally distraught and after the initial shock have had time to contemplate and would like some answers. We were told he went into cardiac arrest. Why? We could not face having a post mortem done but before we had told the vet this she was saying that she wouldn't have one done because it's not very nice. Looking back it is as if she was trying to put us off. As if we might find something we shouldn't. We are all heart broken and want some answers. What can we do?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Alfie. This type of thing is extremely unusual to such a young healthy dog. There may have been some underlying issue such as heart disease that is congenital or liver disease that is also congenital and is not taxed to its limit until something such as anesthesia is used that stresses these organs. Only an autopsy (called a Necropsy) will tell you for sure and if this was my dog I would have wanted to know just as you do now. Even as the veterinarian that did this procedure, I would have wanted to know and would have requested form you the permission to perform this. The only other alternative is that the anesthesia was too much or sweet Alfie's body could not handle the anesthesia due to some other issue that is yet to be known. This nightmare that you are experiencing also is one for your vet....it happens so rarely but when it does, it is devastating to not only you and your family, but also your vet.
If possible, take Alfie to an independant vet. If it is too late, you will never know for sure, I am sooo sorry to say.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet precious Alfie.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. Again, I am so so sorry for your loss! I know sweet Alfie will be missed!