Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My Alsatian started limping suddenly didn't see what he did

My Alsatian started limping suddenly didn't see what he did and no yelping I can't find were the pain is emanating from he is now refusing to eat this has been going on for the last five days he holds is ears back and is loosing condition
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Which leg is he limping on? Front or back?

Can he bear any weight on it at all even for a moment?

Do you think his limp has improved at all since it started?

What food have you been tempting him with?

Will he drink?

Can you confirm that he has no belly pain?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back
Yes but only for e second
No
Chicken, fresh rabbit which he does eat a small amount of
He is drinking but not a lo
There is no belly pain that I can find
His gums appear normal but I haven't checked recently
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now to hear that his profound lameness has shown no improvement over the past 5 days raises serious concerns here. While nerve/spinal damage doesn't sound to be an issue and hip dislocation (provided he doesn't have hip malformation issues) less likely; these signs do raise concerns that he has damaged or fully torn the cruciate ligament in his knee. Often with this dogs can suddenly go profoundly lame and it is not uncharacteristic for an owner not to have seen a severe trauma to match the level of lameness. As well, it isn't usually painful on palpation, since their discomfort is due to joint instability and arises when trying to use the knee. So, its not surprising that he hasn't reacted to handling of the leg.

In this situation, his lack of appetite is likely related to discomfort as opposed to a GI issue. Therefore, with this and with our concerns about his leg, this is an instance where we'd want him checked and not leave this to linger. His vet can examine +/- xray the leg to determine the root of his signs. At the same time, they can make sure there is no other reason for his appetite loss. As well, they can start him on dog safe pain relief to ease this for him. If it just a partial tear, then pain relief and rest can help. But if he is this lame 5 days on, we'd be wary that we may have a full rupture of the ligament. And if that is the case, surgery may be indicated to fix this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.