Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat has a swelling on the inside of his ear there is no

My cat has a swelling on the inside of his ear there is no external marks .He's had the swelling for 3days the swelling is at the top half of his ear and is quite firm to the touch.He is irritated with it but doesen't seem to be in pain His behaviour is normal and he is eating well.Your advice would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does Tiger have outdoor access?

Any discharge, redness, or swelling visible down in the ear proper?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has outside access there is no redness or discharge in his ear I thought it might be a swollen gland.Needless to say he has disappeared so I am unable to take photo
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Richard,

That is always the way with kitties. So, if he returns, then a photo would be grand.

Now if this is at the top half of the ear, then a lymph node isn't going to be the cause of this. The closest node he has is actually under his jaw. Instead, the most common reasons for these types of swellings are ear hematomas (like a blood blister) or abscesses. And we can see both arise without visible skin trauma and both can be distended enough to appear firm as opposed to fluidy. Of course, we can also see this type of presentation with some allergic reactions (ie insect stings) or growths (benign or cancerous). So, those too would be a concern for Tiger.

In any case, I would keep a close eye on this. You can try warm compressing in case it is a hematoma. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). As well, you could try him on a low dose of Piriton (chlorphenamine; 2mg every 8-12 hours) to rule out an allergic reaction.

Of course, if it doesn't settle, then we'd want to have this checked by your vet. They can sample the lump to see what is causing this. If they remove pus, then an abscess would be confirmed and antibiotics indicated. Otherwise, for anything else, they can stain the cells harvested to diagnose what is present. That way we'd know what this is and whether it needs to be removed for wee Tiger.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.