Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

How do I clean my cats bum, he gets poo in his fir I have been

how do I clean my cats bum, he gets poo in his fir I have been to the vets once already with this and they cleaned him,I have tried to do this but he starts to panic and hide,I can not keep going back all the time.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did his vet shave the hair around his bum last time he was cleaned by them?

Are his stools quite runny?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No he did not shave him, His stools are not runny,it just seems to clump in his hair which is long.I was told it will happen often but I can not keep paying £32 each time this happens.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Judith,

Now some cats are prone to this as an issue, but I agree that having him seen every time is not practical for any cat or owner. Still, if they didn't shave his backside, I have to say that you are facing an unnecessary challenge there.

Therefore, it'd be ideal to have him seen by the local vet, the vet nurse (as nurses are capable of addressing this and often offer nurse appointments for a reduced cost), or even a groomer (since this isn't a medical procedure) to potentially clean the area this time but most importantly shave his peri-rectal region. The reason this would make life easier for you is because if the hair is kept short, they don't tend to have as much issue with this. So, that'd be the best option for Buttons just now and for keeping the area clean in the future.

Otherwise, there is no secret method to cleaning a cat's back end. And I assure you that no cat is keen for this to be done. So, you need to take him in the bathroom or a small room with a sink that has limited hiding places. That way you can avoid his getting away. If he is a panicker, then it is ideal to have an assistant while you clean. One person can hold him (potentially scruff him so he doesn't sneak off), while the other can clean him. This is just the same as what we do in practice. With gloved hands, we work cat shampoo or even dish soap (as it is good for breaking down material like feces) can be used into the fecal matted fur and work the feces out. Any severe caught feces can be gently clipped away with great care.

So, that would be what we'd need to do here. But if he wasn't clipped before, it may just be easier this time for you to see if your practice offers nurse appointments for reduced rates (for example my practice offers them for £12) or have your local groomer address this for him. They can sort out his mess this time but again the most important thing is that they can shave that long hair around his back end to reduce this happening and help you keep it clean in the future.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.