Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cockatiel was attacked by a cat last night and has missing

My cockatiel was attacked by a cat last night and has missing tail feathers and part of his wing, he was bleeding a lot last night and this morning, he has been up and about but keeps going to sleep and his wound is still bleeding and looks very sore. We cannot take him to the vets as he is so old, and will have a heart attack please help.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. The good news is that age is not a disease and otherwise healthy birds handle trips to the vet just fine, the birds that are allowed to get too sick die from the trips to the vet. If a cat has bitten your bird then he will die soon, cat bites to birds are nearly always fatal if not treated with powerful oral antibiotics. He needs to risk a trip to the vet for antibiotics, cleaning the wound and topical therapy is not enough, if we leave this wound to fester, death is a guarantee. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan