Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Jack Russel aged 7 speyed Has started scratching

Customer Question

My Jack Russel bitch aged 7 speyed
Has started scratching all the time she is bathed and front line last week
No obvious bites or ticks.
Her whole belly is red but especially on lower leg front joints.
What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is she licking/gnawing affected area? 2- Did the itching start quickly? 3- How much does she weigh? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she us licking but mostly scratching
Nit quick start been scratching for acweek quite badly
8 kilos weight
No pre existing medical conditions very healthy normally all jabs up to date
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, one of the most common causes for itchy skin in dogs is an underlying allergy (food or environmental). The first place to start is doing a food trial during 6-8 weeks. This is what you can do:1- Change her diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what she normally has had in the past. For example: If she seldom ate fish then put her on a food that has fish like Taste of Wild Salmon. When on this diet she should not eat anything else or she will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement. 2- Start her on Chlorphenamine (piriton) 2-4mg every 8-12 hours. You can buy Piriton over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.4- Bath her with an oatmeal based shampoo 2 times a week for 2 week. 5- I would have her examined by your family veterinarian to make sure there is not an underlying infection that would also require oral antibiotics. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
*
I give her pork sausage for treats is this ok or is chicken better.
She has dry dog food Bakers compkeye as normal food.
I will get the Piriton today
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, you want to avoid protein that she normally ate in the past. So, if she ate pork and chicken you don't want to feed her pork or chicken.