Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 10 week old Labrador puppy his vomited up his meal 3 times

my 10 week old Labrador puppy his vomited up his meal 3 times now in last 2 days. He seems fit and full of energy and clears up the mass directly. He does bolt his food so I feed it soaked rather than dry. Advice please. Jen Bradley
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, Jen. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can Zac keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no other symptoms. Feeding Beta puppy 75g x 4 daily now soaked not dry.

He has free run of the garden and does play with pebbles sometimes which we remove from him.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jen,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, just like people, our pups can have GI upset with vomiting that is triggered by a range of agents. Now quick eating can be to blame in some cases. Still, if this has become a sudden issue in the past few days without a sudden diet change then this would be less likely to be our culprit. And instead, we'd have to consider other causes like bacteria, viruses, parasites, toxins, foreign body ingestion, and general dietary indiscretions. That said, hopefully toxins and foreign bodies are less of an issue him because those would be issues we'd want addressed by his local vet urgently.

Now as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle his stomach. To start, if you did think the diet was playing a role, then you can try feeding him 25% of his food at a time. Breaks of at least 30 minutes between each smaller meal should be used as this will let the food he has just eaten digest and pass out of the stomach. If he settles, then we can slowly increase how much we feed until we find meal sizes that work best for him.

Otherwise, if we see no change with this, then we'd need to think about further supportive care. In that case, we can try him with a light/easily digestible diet. If you do so, start with a small volume (a spoonful) to start. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also vet prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until he is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Finally, if he seems nauseous in general, then you can also consider trying an antacid to settle his stomach. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)

*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

Or we can also use Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide; 0.5tsp every 8 hours). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, GI upset of this nature can be triggered by a wide range of agents. Therefore, do try smaller soaked meals first but if that doesn't settle his signs then do consider the above supportive care. Of course if these signs linger despite that, then we'd need to , consider having a check with his vet. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on the exam, his vet can treat him with an injectable anti-vomiting medication and antibiotics if need be to address this for him and get him back to normal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )