Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a scottish terrier who has had diorhea days and

Customer Question

i have a scottish terrier who has had diorhea for 4 days and i have noticed traces of blood in it. She is otherwise well.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What did the diarrhoea look like? Any mucus?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

When was she last wormed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

thank you for responding. answers are:

yes there was mucus, it was like gravy with a slight jelly consistency.

her gums are pink and slightly moist.

no reaction to pressing her belly except for a waggy tail.

it is possible she could have eaten something "alien" as she went to the groomers on monday, she was fine when she came home. I was away on tuesday and she was looked after by a friend. I noticed the diarrhoea when i got her home on Wednesday. she was last wormed 8 months ago. I have bought the tablet to worm her but didn't want to do it until I know what is causing this.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Angela,

Now based on the signs you have described with Rosie, we'd be most wary of a colitis. This is an inflammatory condition of the colon. It can be triggered by stress (suspicious here with you having been away) but also can be secondary to some worms (whipworms), protozoa (coccidia, giardia), and bacterial agents as well.

With this all in mind, I am glad to see that you did start her on a light diet, but I would suggest continuing it for the next week as we settle this for her. Just to note, you can also use rice or pasta with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. We usually will try them on the diet until signs settle, and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

As well, since whipworms can be a cause, I would note that it is worth worming her at this stage. That way we can rule them out or clear them if they are our culprit.

Further to all of this, since stress colitis is an concern, I would also note that you could consider using a dog specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Protexin Enterogenic) with Rosie. As well, since her stools are runny, we can also consider Protexin Prokolin, Propectalin, or Canikur for her. These have that probiotic benefit but also have a small dose of Kaolin to slow the loose stool and thus reduce that irritation on her colon. And I would note that all are available over the counter at vets, some pet stores, and even on Amazon.

Overall, these would be our concerns for her signs. Your supportive care has been good so far. Still, I'd continue the light diet, worm her now, and consider those GI supports for her gut microflora as well as to slow this diarrhea. If we try the above for the next 24-48 hours and she settles, we're happy. But if it lingers, then we'd want to consider a check for her +/- a fecal sample tested to pinpoint which agent is present so that her vet can dispense treatment to target and clear that for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am pleased to say that Rosie is very much on the mend and is back to her normal bouncy self. Her tummy has settled and she is asking for her food once again.

Many thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome & thank you for the update,

I am very glad to hear that Rosie is feeling better and back to feeling like herself. Smile
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.