Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My pups excrement is very runy and loose?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Champion. I'm so sorry he isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating. Please let me know you're still there by typing in a short reply. I'll be typing in my answer in the meantime.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please let me start by saying there are a lot of different things that can cause a 14-month-old terrier's stool to get very runny and loose. You did the right thing to start with by withholding food and water. Sometimes that's enough to get the stools back to normal. When it's not, there are some home remedies you can try, or some folks will opt for a trip to the veterinarian for prescription medications. A trip to the vet is likely to be the quickest way to solve the problem, but I can go over some of the home remedies, if you like.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there? Just type in what you want to say, then click REPLY or SEND.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I would like you to go over a few remedies please he needs help now and there is no vet open in this area please continue.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Happy to help. Typing in replies now...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
As I said before, the first step is to withhold food. It's okay to give water, but you can skip all food for as long as three days without causing problems (if he's otherwise healthy). The next step is to try a drug called loperamide. It's called immodium in the US; I'm not sure about in the UK, but can look that up. If you tell me Champion's weight, I can give you the dose.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
If you're of a mindset that you'd rather avoid trying any medicine and would rather pursue a natural course until the vet is open, you can try the following.No food for 24 hoursThen feed small portions of a 50/50 mix of boiled chicken and rice, with a tablespoon of goat yogurt. That can be helpful in many cases of diarrhea, too. If neither of these suggestions puts an end to Champion's digestive trouble, then he'll definitely need a trip to the vet.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I hope the information I've provided so far helps to answer your question. Please let me know how else I may help.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm happy I could be of assistance today. Thank you for using our website.