Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I think my 14 1/2 year old collie has started to have

I think my 14 1/2 year old collie bitch has started to have strokes. She has had episodes twice now. Is there anything I can do? I've had her since she was 6 weeks old and so my constant companion?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What signs are you seeing that make you concerned about a stroke?

Any seizures, tremors, wobbliness, or falling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't seen that start of these episodes but I hear a bit of noise and see her apparently fallen down and trying to get up. This was in the middle or the night. She seems to be a bit out of it. I get down with her and talk to her and massage her all over. So far she comes out of it fairely quickly and I help her to her feet and she pants heavily. The first time she need to got outside and had trouble holding her bowel action and dropped a bit befire she got out.

The second time the same symptoms but she didn't evacuate and recoved within 5 minutes and after heavey panting for bit, she then was playing and running around with my other dog.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jacqueline,

Now we have 2 concerns for Stella. Dogs do not suffer from strokes in the way people do. Instead, we can see intermittent signs of this nature related to dogs that are having seizures (which can be due to epilepsy, or growth/swelling/bleed in her brain) or have recurrent flare ups of vestibular disease (where the balance system has a short term "miscommunication" with the brain that leads to difficulty knowing which way is up or walking normally).

In regards ***** ***** treatment, this will be limited if she is having seizures. Instead, we tend to need to diagnose the cause and then use medical management to reduce that for them. With vestibular disease, we can reduce episodes by using supportive care. Often we will use supplements with anti-oxidants (ie Vitamin E, Omega 3+6 fish oil, Co Enzyme Q10, etc). These can be purchased OTC at your vet, pet store, and even online. There are a range of good quality products like Aktivait or Senilife for dogs. Or you can use refer to their ingredient list to provide these using human health food store supplements.

Overall, these would be our concerns for Stella. With the short period of duration for the episodes, I do have to warn you that this does sound more like a seizure. But with her just appearing to struggle to get up, the more benign vestibular issues cannot be ruled out without an examination of her. So, I am glad that you do plan to have her seen. That said, if the PDSA is so behind, you could ring them and see if they would allow her to be seen by a private vet while using their Pet Aid Scheme (where they cover costs to a certain level). Otherwise, I would also advise contacting the local RSPCA branch (LINK). The RSPCA does have some hospitals that they will see animals directly (and often its a sit/wait type situation). Or if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital, then some branches can still help subsidize or even cover the costs of getting her treatment. They may even be able to refer you to their contracted vet and could potentially help her sooner.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.