Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Please advise. My 6 yr old labradoodle {35kgs} cannot get

Customer Question

Please advise. My 6 yr old labradoodle {35kgs} cannot get up without squealing with pain. He looked as though he had swelling in the scrotal area a few minutes ago, but the swelling now appears to have gone down, but he is clearly distressed, and getting up induces pain. {He was neutered when he was 2yrs old}. He is normally a very active dog, is it possible that he has ruptured something?
Anneli
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Anneli and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Edward has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in older labradoodles because of their conformation. Since he does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Edward jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as Edward is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. That would explain the severe pain when he moves..... 5mg per pound seems a lot, do you mean per kilos?

Anneli

NO, Anneli...it is 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This is the best dose that will not hurt your sweet guy unless he does not have anything in his stomach. Dodgs dose is very different than humans....I believe thsi will really help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's great thank you. Sorry to question.

Anneli

NO worries, Anneli...it is a very good question. I know you love your sweet Edward and do not want to hurt him im any way....I really hope he feels better soon!