Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has lost a bit of weight and drinking a lots of wa

My dog has lost a bit of weight and drinking a lots of water
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 4- Is she on any medications? 5- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Three months coughing no yes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. So, for example if she is a diabetic she will need to be started on insulin, etc. Unfortunately nothing I can recommend over the counter for you to try at home. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter