Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My bengal had all the signs of pregnancy (pink nipples,

Customer Question

Hi my bengal had all the signs of pregnancy (pink nipples, milk etc) but couldn't feel any kittens. She would have been due Friday and had contractions at 3am sat morning but all she delivered was a small amount of what looked like part of a placenta. She is well in herself and eating drinking etc. I have monitored her all weekend and no further signs of labour although she does have a small amount of bloody discharge (no smell). I'm wondering if she has miscarried and the kittens were reabsorbed some time ago.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your bengal cat. I'm so sorry she's got you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating. You've already hit the nail on the head here, I'm afraid. The scenario you describe in which she miscarried and reabsorbed the kittens some time ago is quite likely. It's also possible that there never were kittens (or at least more than the beginnings of one you saw delivered). Unfortunately, the possibilities of what is occurring here range widely. Anytime a cat cycles any degree of false pregnancy can result, including nipple development and milk production, even if there are no kittens. In the case of a false pregnancy, however, I would not expect the labor and delivery of any tissue whatsoever. That being said, I think it's important to have a thorough examination performed on your cat. She may have retained placentas or fetal tissue. It's even possible she may still be pregnant (although not very likely). The only way to know for sure is to have an exam and ultrasound performed.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I am relieved to hear she is eating well and otherwise acting normal. Some of the potential problems that could be going on here could end up making her quite ill. I'm so sorry things didn't work out this time.Is there anything else I can help you with?
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you that's very helpful. I am a small breeder so want to make sure all my cats are healthy before considering breeding again. Can I just ask what tests I can perform (lab tests) to help element any problems with my girls/boys. I will get her checked out too.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for your reply and your rating. I would recommend having the following tests done prior to breeding:-routine physical examination-urinalysis-baseline CBC, chemistry profile (including T4)-FeLV/FIV testAdditionally, make sure everyone is being dewormed regularly, including pregnant queens.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Also, it's important to keep in mind that there doesn't necessarily have to be anything wrong for a pregnancy to fail to go as hoped/planned. It's simply one of those things that's not entirely within our control. I hope things go better next time. Thank you again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you I really appreciate your help.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using our website. Don't hesitate to request me if you have any additional questions in the future. I'm happy to help.