Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cocker spaniel has developed what look like a sore on here

My cocker spaniel has developed what look like a sore on here hind leg. Initially I thought it was a hot spot but having taken pictures and looked as closely as possible, it now seems like a raised red lump. I then thought it could be a wart and as she kept licking area I bought a cone to stop this. Today I have taken more pictures and notice it has what I can only describe as a little hole with something which could be puss coming out of it.
I will try and download pictures
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does the sore/lesion have an odor?

Are you seeing pus draining?

Can you post your photos, so I can see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No odour and please bare with me while I work out how to post photos
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
No worries, Sonya,

I will keep an eye out for your photos
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Sonya,

Since I am just seeing the mass and have no point of reference for size, can you tell me about how large this is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its the size of 10p coin

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Now based on your photos, this is not a hot spot and doesn't look like a wart either. Instead, we definitely have an infection with pus and this does look to be rupturing out of a potential abscess. Now this could have been caused by a previous trauma the allowed bacteria into her skin. That said, we cannot fully rule out an recently grown mass with a secondary infection.

Therefore, while I am glad that you have placed the e-collar to keep her from any self-trauma and hibiscrub can be used to flush this; but this is situation where we will at least need oral/systemic antibiotics from her vet plus dog safe anti-inflammatories. Depending on the response to treatment and any testing your vet may do on the lump at this point (ie fine needle aspiration), we may have a mass that also needs to be removed to prevent this being a future issue for Phoebe.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )